Saturday, May 15, 2010

Figuring out medications

Finding the right medication is always tricky. It's not a great feeling to hear on the news that the drug you are taking is being taken off the market because of health problems caused by it. That's what happened with Plaquenil. Fortunately, I was only on it for a short period of time. The next drug I was put on was called Methotrexate, a very popular medication for Rheumatoid Arthritis. I also started an injection, VERY expensive, medication called Enbrel. The Methotrexate gave me bad canker sores in my mouth and so I then was put on prescription dose Folic Acid. And just in case those drugs didn't work, I had Naproxin on the side (basically a strong Ibuprofin).

I've never liked taking medication. I had to have one doozy of a headache to take anything for it, so my body was definitely a stranger to medicine of any kind. It was quite the adjustment for me to get used to taking something every day - an adjustment mentally more than anything.

My body reacted well to these medications and I started feeling better. Although I don't like taking medications, I'm so grateful they are there to take. What would I be like otherwise?

No comments:

Post a Comment